October 18, 2010

The 2-Vegetable Dinner

This is my first day with “full bars” and I am feeling like a 4H winner at the fair!  I followed the wisdom of my 9-year old and drank my milk, at veggies with lunch and then snuck two vegetables into our dinner. Speaking of dinners – the Trader Joe’s Masala sauce would make an old shoe yummy (put you’d miss your nutrition goals.)

Breakfast            
Latte
Scrambled Eggs with ham onion, and cheddar
Whole wheat toast with Avocado
Orange Juice

Lunch   
Red bell peppers
Wheat Bread with Munster
Carrots Baby
Dried Plums
Milk

Dinner 
Tofu Masala with Cauliflower, onion and baby corn
Basmati Rice Medley
Milk

Total Daily Expenditure: $7.87


Since I am a winner today and feeling the exhilaration of triumph, I would like to take a moment to address a common peeve registered by my peanut gallery patrons. More than a few nuts have lambasted me for including lattes in an experiment partially about frugality. It would be difficult to say this without sounding condescending so please know that I am only trying to de-stigmatize the wrongly demonized latte. A latte is nothing more than steamed milk in strong coffee and ours happen to be made at home by my hubby, Ed. All in, my latte costs us $0.68 - more than half of which (approx $0.37) is one of the three servings of MILK required each day. So – have your 30 cent coffee and I’ll have my 30 cent espresso with steamed milk and stop fixating on my latte. Latte drinkers are people too.

No comments:

Post a Comment